Friday, January 29, 2016

The Kitchen & I An Unlikely Love Story

From lipsticks to ladles- Payal Puri's fascinating culinary journeyFrom lipsticks to ladles-Payal Puri's fascinating culinary journey.When I ran into my least favourite aunt at a family lunch recently, she looked at my slimmer-than-shelast-saw-me form and said, 'I suppose you're eating what you cook'. You see, I don't cook (or, didn't). Never had. I didn't ever get around to learning, mostly lived with parents or - thankfully - had a cook, and when I married a couple of years ago, much after the conventional marriageable age, I was an urban independent gogetter who could get everywhere except the kitchen, of course. Fortunately, living in Gurgaon, where apartments and cooks exist in a mutually satisfactory state of capitalism, cooking continued to be strictly optional. Food, on the other hand, has never been. I live for it. I have always loved to go out, eat in, order takeaway, try new restaurants, watch cookery shows, and generally make mealtimes the highlight of my day, despite the fact that all I could satisfactorily do in my own kitchen, till recently, was make a cup of tea and Maggi. Since my husband's cooking skills have matched mine to the dot, we sheepishly agreed to treat the kitchen as "the room that houses the microwave" and left it to its own devices. Till the day I got into an intense food debate with a friend on the difference between pie and tart crusts, as though civilisation's future depended on it, and decided to google the question - thereby landing on Deb Perelman's blog, Smitten Kitchen. I didn't know it then, but this was the woman who was going to teach me to cook. The blog, written out of Perelman's tiny New York kitchen (that is even smaller than my own), attracts a few million readers a year. It also makes a mockery of anyone's claims that they don't have the time, equipment or ingredients to cook: Deb's specific grouse when she first started cooking was that chefs often worked with unpronounceable ingredients, unreplicable techniques and unaffordable tools, so she set about creating recipes that need none of these. It doesn't hurt that her writing is a joy - witty, self-deprecating conversational - and before long I found myself going to her blog every day, while a cheeky voice at the back of my head reminded me that I was now a food-blog stalker who could possibly burn water! But it wasn't till a recipe for apple cake popped up on one of my surfing sessions that the same little voice took a new track, 'You've got a kilo of apples sitting in the fridge. Why can't you make that? What's she got that you haven't?' Apart from the obvious fact from eight million readers, I couldn't come up with a convincing answer. It helped that I was home alone at the time, with no incredulous husband to dissuade me, and had nothing planned for the rest of the afternoon. I looked at the apples. I looked back at the recipe. I checked the ingredient list and found that barring baking powder, I had everything I needed at hand - and with a grocery store in my apar tment block, the missing ingredient could be on my counter in minutes. I gave the urge a few minutes to pass. It didn't.AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER
And it began - a year and a half ago, my borderline insane love affair with cooking. I made the apple cake and understood two incredible things that afternoon: the first, that apples improve with baking, and second that Since my husband's cooking skills matched mine to the dot, we sheepishly agreed to treat the kitchen as "the room that houses the microwave" oNE fine DAY... 'You've got a kilo of apples in the fridge. Why can't you make that apple cake?' I made the apple cake and understood two incredible things that afternoon. The first, that apples improve with baking, and second that I could - given the right recipe, an idiot-proof technique, and enough time - cook! Photographs (top): shutterstock/indiapicture I could - given the right recipe, an idiot-proof technique, and enough time - cook! Those who know me best know I have an obsessive streak. By the time my apple cake had been dusted with powdered sugar, and warmed and eaten with vanilla icecream on the side, later that night, I was already plotting my next move: a lemon yogurt cake that had received rave reviews on the site. We ate a lot of cake last summer. It's no coincidence that I've been on a diet for the last three months: the lemon cake (delicious!) was followed by a strawberry summer cake, a red wine velvet cake and banana bread. I started to skip the clothes stores at the mall and instead dashed into food stores, arriving home - with an excitement formerly reserved for shoes - with loaf pans and bundt pans and springform tins and muffin pans. I bought parchment paper and oven gloves; a zester and a hand blender. I made sure we were never out of allpurpose flour and cake flour, as though emergency baking could be called for in the dead of night.

OF SCONES AND BEYOND
And it got crazier. The husband, reading a PG Wodehouse late one Friday night, read out a passage that paid homage t o high tea and mentioned how much he loved scones. I beamed at him as you do at a favourite student. I love scones too, I told him. I should make some. ' Maybe not', he laughed. 'Surely that's best left to professionals,' he said. I gave him a look that could melt glaciers - though he, by now immersed in his book once more, missed it entirely. I then picked up my iPad, fired up Smitten Kitchen, and did a search for scones, fully intending to buy the ingredients the next morning. And discovered I already had what the recipe called for in my kitchen. 'But it 's past midnight,' my rational mind tried to point out. 'What does that have to do with anything,' my hurt ego threw back. 'Is cooking at midnight illegal?' My first-ever scones came out of the oven at 2am and the husband - looking at once hunted and reluctantly impressed - warily picked up one, slathered it with butter and blueberry jam, and took a bite. The hunted look faded. The impressed look stayed. 'My God, these are really good,' he gasped. 'It's no big deal,' I shrugged, as though I had spent the last 30-something years cooking up midnight feasts. Suddenly, I couldn't understand why I hadn't. I was blindsided by the realisation that I loved it. Sure, I had no imagination with recipes, and worried maniacally if I failed to follow an instruction precisely, but I simply couldn't get enough. And then one evening the husband mildly pointed out that while life was wonderful with dessert, a main course or two might not go amiss if I had, in fact, decided to cook. He had a point, I reluctantly admitted to myself. If I were capable of this, what else might be possible?
I trusted no one but Perelman, though; I still wasn't sure I could cook, I was merely convinced she could! And that was when fate intervened for the second time - my mother sent across a stack of books that I hadn't brought over when I married and among them was a cookbook I had received as a gift a few years ago but never opened. It was an unassuminglooking book. But it was Indian cooking, and my hero Perelman didn't do any of that, so I sat down with a cup of tea and Hajra Mohammed's Recipes of Life, For Life and decided to read. An hour later I had the same eureka moment I'd had when Deb's apple cake had called out to me - this was homestyle cooking by a matriarch who knew everything there was to know on the subject. I could tell the food would be superb, if only one followed her instructions - I've found that while the knack for cooking had been absent my whole life, my ability to tell a good recipe from average was well-honed. So I flipped through the slim volume looking for something that I felt like cooking. I found it right away: Mutton Biryani made the Cutchi Memon way. Not quite the ideal dish for the novice cook, but by now Hajra herself couldn't have stopped me. It took me five delightful hours. If she suggested slow-sauteing the onions for 30 minutes, I did it for 40. I was going to be the over-achiever of biryanis. I was making up for my lack of experience with an excess of enthusiasm - and I was rewarded as only first-timers can be. I chopped and sauteed and slow-cooked. I slit chillies and infused milk with saffron. I watched over the cooker like a hawk. I finished the biryani on dum as she suggested, following her instructions to the letter. When I finally opened the pan, I was assailed by possibly the most incredible scent I have ever smelt to this day: the scent of something delicious that had been cooked by me. RECIPE FOR SUCCESS From there to now - it's been a journey I wouldn't trade for any other. I've had disasters in the kitchen and learned to laugh over them rather than collapse in tears - though that has happened too. In the past year, I've made more scones and more cake but also dosa and pasta and sandwiches. I've made pizza dough from scratch and homemade tomato sauce. I've made a forgettable cauliflower soup and an unforgettable French onion one. I've roasted vegetables, fried fish and burnt chicken. In the last month alone, I've made white batter bread ( disaster), beer batter fish and onion rings ( yummy), peanut butter cookies ( delicious), homemade granola bars (superb), and more 1am biryani (though not as good as my first attempt, I admit). Each attempt produces not just food but incredible memories: two days ago, Rajat (my husband) and I spent three hours in the kitchen, he frantically using a "chip-cutter" to chop "fries" out of root vegetables while I tossed them with oil and herbs and flung them in to bake. We ate them hot out of the oven, giggling like teenagers as we plotted a baked-fries business - then moaned and groaned that night as too many potatoes took their toll on the digestion. Just today, I've hunted down a cast-iron skillet so I can make my next food obsession, fritattas: I'm tracking the courier package with the determination of a stalker. I have enough recipes bookmarked to not need a new one for the rest of my life. After years of trawling the aisles of fancy food stores, my first question now on spotting something I like is 'can I make that?' The answer, I'm astounded to find, is often 'yes'.
My Top RecipesThis cherished delicacy might not be every amatuer cooks cup of tea but it's worth when your appetite is big and you?fre patient enough to spend the day in your kitchen . lovingly tending to the mutton. Ingredients: 1 kilo mutton shoulder, cut into pieces; 1.2-3.4 cup cooking oil; 5 cloves, 5 cardamoms, 4 one-inch pieces of cinnamon stick; 3 large onions finely chopped or minced; 1 cup chopped dhania (coriander leaves); 1.2 cup chopped pudina (mint leaves); 2tbsp ginger paste; 2tbsp garlic paste; 3tsp red chilli powder; 1.2 tsp turmeric powder; salt to taste; 4 large potatoes, washed and cut into half; 11.2 cups yogurt; 6 slit green chillies Method: Heat oil in a cooker on medium heat and add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. When they stop spluttering (after a minute or so), add the onions. Cook on lowmedium heat slowly till the onions turn golden brown. When the onions are caramelised, add the coriander and mint leaves and slow cook them again for five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the ginger and garlic paste and salt to taste, and saute them, sprinkling a little water if needed. Add the turmeric and red chilli powder and cook another five minutes before adding the washed mutton pieces into the cooker. Dry cook the mutton for 10 minutes till all the pieces are wellcoated with the masala. Add 1.4-1.2 cup water (more will be released in the cooking process) and pressure cook for 10 minutes after it reaches gas, open the cooker when the steam has released and add the potatoes. Pressure cook for another 5 minutes after reaching full steam, then turn off and let the steam release. Open the pressure cooker, light the gas again, and add the yogurt. Cook till the oil separates and the water evaporates, leaving thick gravy behind. Drop in the slit green chillies and fold into the mutton. Then turn off the gas and let rest awhile. This tastes fantastic with flaky paranthas or over rice. Note: This recipe also works with chicken, cooking times adjusted. It's also not too spicy so don't worry about the generous amount of chillies; these are tempered by the yogurt and coriander gravy.Crackers are hard to hate. They are perfect finger foods for parties or as snacks for bored evenings and taste delightful with a curd dip or spicy salsa. Ingredients: 13.4 cups maida; 1tbsp chopped rosemary plus extra for sprinkling; 1tsp baking powder; 3.4 tsp salt; 1.2 cup water; 1.3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing; sea salt Method: Preheat oven to 200oC with a heavy baking sheet on the middle rack (you want to get the baking sheet very hot so the base of the cracker comes out crisp). Mix flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add water and oil and bring together with a wooden spoon, then knead dough for a couple of minutes. Divide into three equal pieces, cover two with a damp tea towel, and work with the third. Cut a rectangle of parchment paper roughly the size of your baking sheet and roll out one piece of dough in a rustic rectangle shape as thin as you can. Lightly brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt and additional rosemary and press lightly so they embed into the dough. I use a pizza cutter at this stage to cut into ?gcrackers?h . these could be long and thin like breadsticks, or squares, or any shape you like. Move parchment with rolled out dough to the preheated baking sheet and bake for 8 to 9 minutes until brown at the edges; while they?fre baking, roll out the next on a new parchment sheet. Transfer to an airtight jar when cool. Note: You can also sprinkle thyme, dill or cracked pepper before baking.Make your own health bars as opposed to buying them off the store. Crumble them over a bowl of yoghurt or have them with your morning cereal. They also double up as a health snack . so versatile! Ingredients: 1 2 .3 cups quick rolled oats; 1.2 cup sugar; 1.3 cup oat flour (or 1.3 cup oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor); 1.2 tsp salt; 1.4 tsp cinnamon powder; 2-3 cups dried fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice; 1tsp vanilla extract; 6tbsp melted butter; 1.4 cup; 2tbsp honey; 1tbsp water Method: Preheat oven to 180oC. Line a medium rectangle cake pan with parchment paper or foil, then grease it with cooking spray or butter, coating any un-lined bits of the pan as well. Mix all the dry ingredients (nuts, dry fruit, seeds, salt, sugar, oats, oat flour and cinnamon) in one bowl. In another, whisk together the wet ingredients (both quantities of honey, vanilla, melted butter and water). Add the wet ingredients into the dry ones and toss with a wooden spoon till the mixture is evenly crumbly. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and press down hard to make it stick together (a good trick is to cut a rectangle of cling film and cover the pan and then press with something heavy). Remove the cling film and bake the bars for 30-40 minutes until the edges and tops are a little brown. They?fll still feel soft but will become firm once cooled. Pull out and allow to cool in the pan or remove using the parchment and cool on a cooling rack. When cool, cut with a serrated knife. If bars seem crumbly, chill the pan in the fridge for 30 minutes, then cut. Since they can get soggy in humid conditions, store in an air-tight jar in the fridge.
Reproduced From Good Housekeeping. 2014. LMIL. All rights reserved.
Payal Puri

No comments:

Post a Comment